What Flood Insurance Does and Doesn’t Cover in Brooklyn NY

You don’t need to have a Hurricane Sandy-sized problem to need flood insurance in Brooklyn, NY. Even so, these problems do happen to New Yorkers every year. You will need additional flood insurance with your home insurance or renters’ insurance policy if you live in New York and anticipate flooding claims in the future.

At NEC Agency INC., we want you to be protected against flood damage and losses. We can help you to understand what you do and don’t need with flood insurance.

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is an additional insurance policy that you have to purchase on top of your home insurance or renter insurance. This will be purchased through your existing provided. Your coverage and premiums will depend on what zone you live in, and the value of your contents. Flood insurance is not required in New York unless your lender requires it.

Flood Insurance Coverage

What flood insurance will cover is your building and the foundation. It will also cover your central utility systems, such as electrical and plumbing, and heating. Flood insurance will cover your major appliances, carpeting, bookshelves, cabinets, and wall paneling or covering.

You can buy additional property or contents insurance with flood insurance to cover contents such ad technology, devices, clothing, and general contents of value.

Flood Insurance Gaps

What flood insurance will not cover is damage caused by mold, or valuables such as gold, silver, and paperwork. Anything that is outside the home or building is not covered by flood insurance, such as your car or RV.

You also will not get temporary housing benefits with flood insurance. You can however purchase that as an add-on to your existing home insurance policy.

Get a Quote

When you are looking for flood insurance in Brooklyn, NY, the NEC Agency Inc. understands your unique needs. Call us for a quote today.